The piriformis is a flat, pyramid-shaped muscle located underneath the gluteus maximus that helps to rotate the hip. When tightened or enlarged, it can entrap the sciatic nerve and other major nerves and blood vessels, often leading to lower back pain and conditions like sciatica (6).
- Place the ball on the floor.
- Position yourself over the ball so that it rests underneath the outer center of your right glute.
- Keep your left leg out straight in front of you. Bend your right leg and cross the right ankle over your left thigh.
- Take small circular movements around the area, pausing for at least 20 seconds every time you find a knot or feel referred pain.
- Repeat on the other side.